Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Honor Code Office located?

The HCO is located on the fourth floor of the Wilkinson Student Center (WSC) in room 4450.

What is the process for students working with the Honor Code Office?

Generally speaking, the steps of the process are as follows:

Schedule an appointment. To make a report to the Honor Code Office or to schedule an appointment, you can do one of the following:

  • Phone: 801-422- 2847 to speak with an Honor Code Counselor.
  • Email: -- Please provide your name and contact information.
  • Office: Come to the Honor Code Office in 4450 WSC to speak with an Honor Code Counselor.

First visit. You will meet with an Honor Code Counselor and privately discuss your concerns.

Written statement. You will be invited to provide a written statement.

Follow-up visit. You will return to the Honor Code Office to discuss the final decision.

Do I need to work with my bishop AND the Honor Code Office?

Bishops and Honor Code counselors have different roles, so in some circumstances the answer is yes.
Bishops have an ecclesiastical stewardship; therefore they don’t report information to the Honor Code Office.
Bishops may encourage students to meet with an Honor Code counselor.
Honor Code counselors focus on helping students abide by the code of conduct established by the university.
Honor Code counselors do not discuss a student’s conduct with their ecclesiastical leader without written consent from the student.

Does the Honor Code Office accept anonymous reports of student misconduct?

The Honor Code Office typically does not accept anonymous reports of student misconduct. Exceptions may be made in regards to safety and health of our students.

What are the possible decisions?

The process may conclude with one of the following decisions: No Action, Counsel and Education, Warning, Probation, Suspension or Expulsion.

Does BYU block transcripts from transferring in cases where a student is no longer in good standing?

No, this is a myth. See the “Transcripts” page by the BYU Registrar’s office.

How do I get in touch with a counselor?

You can call our office to make an appointment 801-422-2847.